Best ever dark chocolate brownies with walnuts




Pinterest is by far my favorite app to discover new creative content. For years I have been religiously pinning food pins in the hope of trying some of them in my kitchen. So this Summer holiday at my mum's place, I finally decided to give a couple of the many brownie recipes on my Pinterest board a go. 



When I told my mum that I would be baking brownies in her kitchen, she pulled out her dearly preserved, 30 year old recipe diary and gave me her brownie recipe. That, in brownie world, was pure gold and I can safely say that it produced the best ever chocolate brownies. 

I did make a few changes to the original recipe, but most of it is intact and reproduced here for everyone who wants to try brownies from scratch. 



Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 - 40 minutes 

Ingredients: 

2 eggs
150 g dark cooking chocolate bar
3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/3 cup Plain Flour + 1 table spoon
2 tablspoons unsweetened Cocoa powder
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essense
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 th teaspoon baking powder



Method:
1. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla essence till light and fluffy
2. Melt the butter along with chocolate in the microwave until completely melted. (15 second intervals)
3. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together. Gently mix with a dry spoon. 
4. Now add the dry ingredients to your wet ingredients (egg mixture) and combine gently. Do not beat. 
5. Add the chocolate and butter mix and combine well
6. Grease a 8 inch square baking tin and pour the mixture
7. Roll the walnuts in 1 tablespoon of flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom 
8. Drop your walnuts in the batter and bake for 30 - 40 minutes at 175 C / 325 F
9. Cool the brownie before cutting into squares 

Note: This recipe will result in gooey, fudgy brownies with a cracked top. For a cakey brownie, add three eggs.


Share your thoughts :

@karibykriti