The Colors of a barren Rann of Kutch

In continuation of my last post about the Rann of Kutch, a white Salt Desert spread across 100,000 sq miles, the most western part of India. The area has the endless desert area on one side and the Arabian sea on the other side and is home to embroidery of various styles such as Rabari, Ahir, Sindhi, Banni, Mutwa, Ari and Soof - and some styles include mirror or bead inlay.

The Rann Utsav or the Rann Festival organized each year by the State Tourism is a great initiative to introduce and sensitize the far removed city dwellers to a life in the barren Rann of Kutch. The State of Gujarat has been ranked as the third best unsung tourist destination of the world by Lonely Planet and they are not wrong. I am one of those tourists who were lucky to be mesmerized by the colors, costumes and culture of these remote villages. The more I travel, the more I fall in love with my Country!

Some pictures from my trip of the women of Kutch:















An embroidered panel 


Please let me know before using the photos. 





Share your thoughts :

  1. Beautiful images. My heart skips a beat whenever I see such colorful pics and beautiful artwork.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

@karibykriti