6 ideas for Etsy India sellers

I started selling on Etsy from India in 2013. But it wasn't until early 2016 that my shop actually started generating sales. It took me good 2.5 years to navigate through the selling process, experiment with products and manage challenges that I faced selling from a foreign location to customers globally. Also, I did not have the support of an awesome Esty team based in my home country to answer questions at the click of a message!

I get a lot of questions on how to generate more sales on Etsy. The common dilemma is "I have a shop, now what?"



So here are my top 6 ideas for a new seller. Use these to optimize your shop further after your basics are in place. A quick reminder on the basics - GREAT photos, use all your tags, add your keywords, complete your policies. Once these are done, you can go ahead and experiment with these 6 ideas: 

1. Tags in a foreign language:

I once received not one but two orders from French Polynesia. Geographically, I had no idea where this tiny island nation was, so the first thing I did was to locate French Polynesia on Google maps. And then I actually reveled over how my quilts would travel the world! But, I later realised that people were able to find my shop from French Polynesia because I experimented with a tag in French! I now always add a tag in one of the other major languages besides English - French, Spanish and sometimes German

2. Use the about me section:

Trust is everything on Etsy. A buyer makes a connect with not just the product but also the human who created it - That is YOU! Use the about me section to tell your story. And everyone has a story to tell. Be creative about it, add behind the scene pictures, share your vision and ethics, talk about your process. Be real, make that connect!

3. Don't ignore the packaging: 

Chances are that someone who buys from Etsy is looking for something special. Go the extra distance and give them an experience and not just a product. Get creative with the packaging. It doesn't have to be all branding. Add a free gift, put in a hand written note, make it feel special. Convert one time buyers into forever customers

4. Be crystal clear with the shipping timelines: 

I can't stress enough on this. Most buyers are put off by an order that doesn't make it on time. This might affect your reviews negatively and we do not want that. Logistics is not in our hands, so it is better to set the right expectations. If you are shipping via India Post, it is best to talk to the Post office and add a few days to their timeline just to be on the safer side. Offer expedited shipping to buyers only if your are sure that it will reach within the set time frame

5. Reciprocate the love: 

Etsy is a community and not just a marketplace. That is my top reason for selling on Etsy and why I love it! I have stuck to it for these 6 years and I have only just started. Reciprocate the love in whatever way you possibly can. Need a logo, why not buy it from an Etsy shop? I always do my digital downloadable shopping on Etsy. My blogger website preset was from a shop Templates by Kate, my logo was designed by a graphic designer on Etsy. And most recently, I bought customized wooden tags for my weekender bags came from an Etsy shop - All this Wood. Don't need anything? Share about some of your favorite shops, their products and the inspiring people. Good karma comes back!

6. Carve out time for social media: 

Etsy and social media go hand in hand. Etsy is a crowded marketplace and now that you have created a beautiful Etsy shop, use the power of social media to talk about it. My go-to apps are Instagram (both feed and Instagram stories), Facebook and Pinterest. Join a few group boards on Pinterest and post your product pins on those. Make use of different hashtags on Instagram and post stories that are a mix of personal and work life. Everyone likes engaging, meaningful posts so don't always push for sales through your posts. I personally also use Etsy's inbuilt Shop Update feature to share news about new products with people who have followed my shop on Etsy. This feature is available on the Sell on Etsy app.

Leave a comment for me and let me know if you used any of these ideas. Also, I'll be happy to share more, if you would like to hear more!

Pin for later 




Share your thoughts :

@karibykriti